Suicide and Self Harm – Prevention and Response Training: Advanced Course
This day of training is primarily for school counsellors and school psychologists. Teachers who have completed the Foundation Course may also apply. This day will provide a thorough analysis of the causes of self harm and suicide, identification and support for students who are self harming and a variety of responses for the aftermath of a suicide.
The day covers the following aspects:
- Theoretical models of self harm and suicide will be discussed in detail. Counsellors will be asked to share their approaches.
- The local situation and individual experiences will be considered in confidence.
- Models of coping applied to practical therapeutic approaches to disclosures.
- The aftermath of a suicide – models of whole school management and support.
- Practical activities for responding to critical events.
- Working with staff about suicide and self harm.
- Evaluation and examples of protocols and child protection procedures.
This a challenging and interactive day designed to support staff who are likely to be exposed to students and staff at risk of self harm and suicide. It will provide the opportunity to evaluate theoretical and practical approaches in depth to help staff develop confidence and competence.